I received a question from Cassey, the ESFJ who spoke to me about Konmari.
I was wondering if you would do a post on how you determine your goals for the month.
I’d be keen to pick up tips.
So this is for Cassey and anyone else who may be curious.
I have a process, which goes roughly like this:
- I do a thorough annual goals review and planning. It takes me a few sessions to do properly but it’s worth it. I use Leonie’s workbook and my own goals & intentions doc (which I’ll make available next week).
- My annual goals stem from my purpose, my word of the year, and sometimes what is pressing. Like the year we had to investigate schools for the twins…. or for the year when my word was “create“, my goals were centred around creating memories for my kids, creating personally in the way of photography, courses on this site and crafts. One of the things I’ve focussed on this year with my word “enough” is getting enough sleep. There’s no point pursuing something that has nothing to do with what you believe your purpose to be.
- Then I do monthly goals planning. This happens on Goals Night.
- It helps to keep in mind which goals are habits and which are projects. E.g. going to the gym 3 times a week is a habit, but training for a particular marathon is a project. Of course, the habit helps set you up for success.
- Then I choose some goals to work on every week and for others, I set up my environment (diary and physical environment) for success, so that it will happen naturally. Like the way I always have a book with me, and I always have a book ready in my Audible account. There really is no reason for me to ever say “I couldn’t read because I didn’t have a book”. Here’s how I make time to read.
- I take those weekly goals, spread them out over some of the days of the week according to my schedule so that I’m likely to get them done.
- And of course, review, review, review. I look at them daily, thoroughly every week and even more thoroughly every month.
I love talking about goals and it’s true, Goals Night is by far my favourite night of the month 🙂
I want to quickly chat about a few highlights in November and then once I hit publish, I’ll be setting my goals for December… bliss!
- I passed my Spanish exams.
- I passed my industry exams.
- The weather cooled down and we were able to go for NINE walks which means… we reached our goal for the year of #52walksin2015
My sleep average improved by 8 minutes 🙂